Author: Mufti Muhammad ibn Adam al-Kawthari.
Human beings were created with an excellent faculty of reason which leads them to question things in a bid to fully comprehend them. It is in our natural disposition to desire to “know” as much as humanly possible perhaps so we could come into terms with the purpose behind the creation of everything.
But in spite of the quest of knowledge about almost anything, human beings tend to shy away from the subject appertaining to sex and sexual relations. For many Muslims, it is almost taboo to speak about this topic, yet the questions that surround it are numerous. We all want to know, as it is every Muslim’s right, how we can approach sexual relation with our spouses in a way that is acceptable and in accordance to the Qur’an and Sunnah.
This book approaches the issue in a very logical perspective as the author quotes authentic narrations on the same from the Qur’an, Sunnah and various schools of thought. He, Alhamdulillah gives a very comprehensive and detailed work covering everything a Muslim needs to know about the issue.
The topics tackled in this excellent book include:
- Intentions and sex as a form of charity.
- Each spouse’s right to sexual relations.
- How often a couple should have them.
- Preferred and disliked times for intercourse.
- Preparing for sexual relations.
- Other “forms” of sex eg: anal, oral and phone sex in light Islam.
- Etiquettes of the first night of marriage.
This is a must read book for all Muslims who intend to perceive the issue in the light of the Qur’an and Sunnah as the author also gives a summary of the recommended and prohibited sexual acts like:
- Either spouse depriving the other the right of sex without a valid reason.
- The husband intentionally drinking his wife’s milk (according to the Hanafi school).
- Using food during foreplay.
- Reciting various supplications.
- Cleanliness and personal hygiene.
- Having the right intentions in mind while engaging in sexual relations.